01 September 2011

10 Healthy Snacks for Road Trips

When you are on a long trip in the car the road can be a fast food jungle!  With some planning and an insulated cooler you can create great road trip snacks for your next adventure.  Here are some healthy snack ideas to get you started.
  1. Waffles and Pancakes are great options.  Make them the night before, or bring your leftovers from breakfast.
  2. Sandwiches and Wraps are the classic choice.  Go easy on the condiments though -- too much mayonnaise can turn into a mess quickly.
  3. Organic Yogurt in a squeeze tube.
  4. Fruit, but choose wisely.  Fruits like grapes, and strawberries work well and don't need to be sliced.  You can also pre-slice an apple or eat a banana on the go.  Avoid peaches, plums and other juicy fruits to keep the mess factor down.
  5. String Cheese or sliced cheese with crackers.
  6. Sliced Raw Vegetables.  I like a mix of grape tomatoes and as many different colors of bell peppers that I can get my hands on.
  7. Trail Mix is one of my favorites, and I like to make my own.  I include almonds, cashews, dried pineapples and some dark chocolate chips.  If you are buying the store bought variety look for one that includes more nuts and fruit then chocolate.
  8. Granola bars, and healthy cookies.  These are two things that can be better homemade as well, but are also available at the grocery store on the run.  Here is a good healthy granola bar recipe you might try.  If you do try it let me know, it is still on my to cook list!
  9. Pretzels are good for crunch!
  10. Add some Frozen Juice Boxes to your mix for the kids.  They will help keep the rest of your cooler cold and it is nice to have a chilly drink at the end of a hot day when they thaw out.
Enjoy the journey!

1 comment: