11 September 2011

Remembering 9/11

It has been 10 years since 9/11 and where have those 10 years taken me in terms of health and wellness?  On 9/11 I was a senior at Gettysburg College.  I was an active college student who managed to mix healthy eating and exercise with an active social life.  My routine was simple, and most of my days looked like this :

9:00 AM - Bowl of Cereal with Skim Milk for Breakfast
10:00 AM - Class
11:00 AM - 1/2 Chicken Breast on Wheat with Lettuce & Tomato
11:15 AM Study at Library
2:00 PM - Eat Other Half of Sandwich & Class
4:00 PM - Workout 30 Minutes Cardio / 15 Minutes Weights
5:00 PM - Dinner with Kelly at Dining Hall.  Whatever was healthy -- if no good options salad bar was fantastic.
6:00 PM & on - Social Life

Having a routine was the key to my health and academic success back in those days.

Ten years later my routine is less fluid.  I try to get my daily workout in during the morning hours, but sometimes my photo shoots get in the way.  I aim for an hour of exercise a day and still often have a chicken sandwich for lunch.  Over the years I haven't always had a regular workout routine, but for the most part have managed to stay healthy.  I did have a few stressful years in there where I packed on a few pounds, but I am happy to say that I was able to get them off and overall have been able to maintain a healthy weight.

When I look back at 9/11 I think of my life and the changing world around me.  It is a day to remember those lost, as well as the heroes of the day.  It is also a day that reminds me of my own journey.  I remember the fear, and looking out our picture window when the news was still unclear.  I remember how the country rebuilt, and the period of patriotism that followed.  I look at my journey over those years, and am nostalgic of the past while excited for the future.  I am lucky to lead the life that I do, and on this day will take some time to myself to remember the people who have made it possible with a special thanks to my husband who has served as a Marine for the past 10 years over 5 deployments and all of the sacrifices he has made to play his part in keeping the world safe.

1 comment: