03 November 2011

Santa Fe Style Chicken Salad

This recipe is for a healthy Santa Fe Style Chicken Salad with the help of the trusty crock pot. It is a combination of other recipes that I like tweaked for my tastes.

First pull out your crock pot and grab your ingredients.

2 Chicken Breasts (I like to use organic)
3 Fresh Scallions Sliced
1 Can* of Corn
1 Can* of Black Beans
1 Can* of Tomatoes with Green Chiles
2 tbsp Cumin
2 tbsp Garlic Salt
3 tbsp Powdered Chipotle Pepper
1 Fat Free Chicken Broth Bullion Cube
1.5 Cups of Water
2 Hearts of Romaine Lettuce

Optional : You can add toppings at the end like cheddar cheese, jalapeno peppers, low fat sour cream, avocado, etc.

*Somewhere around 15oz will work for the size on the canned goods. If you really like one ingredient more then the others feel free to mix up the proportions.

First mix together the black beans, corn, tomatoes with green chiles, scallions, cumin, garlic salt and half of the chipotle pepper directly in your crock pot. Put aside and put your bullion cube in a glass with the water and microwave for 1 minute. Stir to dissolve. Add the bullion cube and water mixture to the ingredients you have already mixed. Place the chicken on top and sprinkle with the remaining chipotle pepper - add more if you want to make the recipe extra spicy. Cook on low for 6 hours. When the cooking is complete take out the chicken and slice on a plate.  Scoop out the solids, and discard the liquids. Scoop vegetable mixture on top of chopped romaine lettuce and add sliced chicken on top for a delightful, easy and healthy salad. Makes 2 servings.

10 comments:

  1. Hi. Visiting from the blog hop! I'm your newest follower. I love the name of your blog! Can't wait to read more.

    I'd love for you to stop by my blog and follow back if you like.

    Katie @ Glamorous Without the Guilt
    glamorouswithouttheguilt.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks delicious.Visiting from the blog hop! I'm your newest follower. Hope you check out my blog
    http://naturallymom.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katie & Priscilla - I am on my way to visit you both! Thanks for stopping by to follow my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi~ I visited your blog from the Terrific Thursday Blog Roll & have subscribed. I am looking forward to your posts...enjoyed what I saw here. =)I hope you can visit my blog at http://inkelleyskitchen.blogspot.com. After a hiatus, I am back to blogging & have some fun things planned.
    Have a good evening!
    ~Kelley

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yummy! Can't wait to try this. Thanks. Hopping by from the blog hop. Liked u on FB & Networked Blogs. Stop by & say hi http://detroitmomandherviews.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for stopping by Kelley & LaTonya! I will pop over and see what you are up to on your blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yummy! I love doing stuff like this in the crockpot and southwestern/mexican is my favorite! Following you now from a Friday hop,
    Michelle
    Heartfelt Balance Handmade Life
    Making It from Page to Table
    Fit, Fun and Fashionable after 40

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great recipe. Thanks for following. I'm now following back from blog hop

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for stopping by Michelle and Judy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. On my way over Life, Twins, Drama Queen ...

    ReplyDelete