08 August 2011

Steamed Mixed Vegetables

Vegetables are key to eating healthy, and fresh vegetables are my preference.

My favorite cooking method for vegetables is also the most simple - steam.  The way I like to do it is with a small steamer basket like the one in the photo, but you can also just use a bowl.  I take a large microwave safe bowl and put about 1 - 2 cups of water in the bottom.  Then add the steamer basket and fill with chopped fresh vegetables.  Cover with plastic wrap, or a paper towel and microwave for 8 minutes.  Voila!  Fresh steamed vegetables.

I usually just add a pinch of salt and thyme to mine, but you can also add a teaspoon or two of salad dressing or a sauce of your choice.  Just remember when you are counting calories to measure what you are adding because sauces, marinades and salad dressings can have lots of calories.  I find that it doesn't take much to add flavor to vegetables and a teaspoon or two is usually just right. 

No comments:

Post a Comment