12 December 2011

Cherimoya

This is a cherimoya also called a custard apple.  I was able to find it in my local grocery store, and was attracted to the texture on the outside of the fruit.  It tastes much like its common name custard apple - like a custard textured fruit with an apple flavor.  The flavor is subtle, and fresh.  It also has a bit of a banana flavor.

When I cut into a cherimoya for the first time I was thrilled with the creamy white interior in contrast to the earthy green exterior.

As with most fruit, I like to enjoy this one chilled and fresh.  I did come across some good dessert recipes as well, and would love to hear if anyone tries one of them.




6 comments:

  1. Just visited your blog to return the follow! Thanks for coming by.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm, I've never heard of this before, it sounds interesting. I don't know that I've ever seen one. I'll have to look for one. My name is Sarah, I found your blog at Monkey Do. I am following via GFC, Twitter and Facebook. I would love for you to stop by and visit and it would great to have you as a follower as well. Thanks and Happy Holidays!

    Sarah
    http://skylarinc.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah - I will stop by and follow your blog. Look in a higher end grocery store for a cherimoya, they aren't too tricky to grab there :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wonder what sort of custard apple is this, because the custard apple we get is actually more embedded than the smooth texture like this one has, plus it has more seeds than flesh :p

    http://kalapalette.blogspot.com/2011/12/audrey-hepburn-feat-da-vinci.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. There are actually several fruits that are commonly referred to as custard apples. Here's a link if you are curious : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Custard_apple

    ReplyDelete