01 February 2012

My Grandmother's Cook Book

There is something magical about my Grandmother's old cookbook.  I love all the pieces of paper with recipe scribbles, and paper towels that mark favorite pages.  I love the dust, and I love the retro quality of a recipe for turtle stew.

I never cooked with my Grandmother, but I certainly ate plenty of her food.  Her dinners were classic, and her desserts were legendary.  When I leaf through her cookbook it is almost as if I can go back in time and be in the kitchen with her creating her masterpieces.

I am a lover of history, and old objects.  I love to imagine the objects life and picture it in use during years past.  These objects often peek into my photography on those days when I am searching for a subject, and inspire me always.





8 comments:

  1. I lost my great grandmothers cookbook 3 years ago and I have been searching for it ever since. My husband had to pack the house by himself (I was 1500 miles away taking care of ill father) and completely forgot the cupboard with all my cookbooks :( It makes me sad to think they probably just threw it away. I remember the recipes, but it was like you said the scribbles, notes, and history in the book. I keep hoping I will find it on EBay or something one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful keepsake! Truly priceless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That would be a really awesome piece of your Grandmother to have. I was never close to either of my grandmothers but I would have loved to have had something with their handwriting. Thankfully my mother is very sentimental so I will never have to worry about my kids not having a piece of her history.

    I am a new follower from Blog Hops Everyday. I would love for you to visit and follow me back at http://cooperave.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. New follower from the HOP, hope you come by and follow! I love using my Grandmothers old recipes

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Lucy's Soup Can - It is the perfect keepsake! I also wear some of her jewelry. I am not as tiny as she was, but luckily I have tiny fingers to sport her rings. I am on my way over to check out your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Vanessa - I was not very close with this Grandmother, but having her cookbook makes me feel closer, like I have a better perspective into her life. I will pop over and visit your blog right now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Hungry for a Living - I am already a follower of your lovely blog! Thanks for stopping by :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous3/01/2012

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete