As spring time sets in and I go on amazing adventures with my husband in the outdoors I know that soon I will be faced with complaints and a sad face. We live in the south, and there are bugs. Bugs love my husband. We love the outdoors. All this does not mix well at times.
With a baby on the way hardcore bug spray is out of the question so we decided to come up with some natural, safer alternatives to help us enjoy the outdoors during this long southern buggy season.
DIY Essential Oil Bug Spray
3 tbsp Filtered Water
3 tbsp Rubbing Alcohol 99%
7 Drops Citronella Oil
4 Drops Eucalyptus Oil
4 Drops Lavender Oil
2 Drops Lemongrass Oil
Mix ingredients in a spray bottle, and don't forget to shake before each use!
5 Natural Options for Bug Repellents
- Burt's Bees Herbal Insect Repellent - Burt's Bees is a great source for natural products, and can be found online as well as in many retail locations. It contains Rosemary, Lemongrass and 10 other essential oils to ward off bugs.
- California Baby Citronella Bug Repellent Spray - This spray can be used for newborns and older children, and contains a combination of essential oils gathered from sustainable sources. Another good feature of this product is that is also soothes existing bites!
- All Terrain Kids Herbal Amor Natural Insect Repellent - This combination of essential oils boasts that it lasts up to 4 hours protecting you against pesky bugs. It is made for outdoor enthusiasts, and reviews state that it works well, but has a strong smell.
- Bug Away Disposable Table Cloth with All Natural Insect Repellent - I love this product for picnics. It is a natural way to ward away bugs that no one even realizes you are using. A great alternative to candles and sprays. It is safe for food and includes only ingredients that are FDA approved for food handling.
- Green Fire Massage Oil and Insect Repellant Candle - I love massage oil candles, and think this is a wonderful alternative to the chemical laden candles you find in stores. It is scented with lemon, eucalyptus and lavender for a romantic evening on the porch. This is a safe, environmentally friendly, clean burning candle. See also my blog post about candles here.
* This post contains affiliate links, but I was not paid by the manufacturer to review this product - I just like it! I am disclosing this in accordance with the FTC's 16 CFR, Part 255. Top image copyright Brooke Photo Studio 2012, bottom Images courtesy of Amazon.