07 May 2012

Guest Post : Real Food Forager

This week I have a guest post for you from Jill of Food Forager.  Her blog is a unique take on food foraging in today's modern world, and I am excited to be able to share this post with you.



I am a Real Food Forager. I admit it. Not the kind that that rummages around in the forest. Oh no. You wouldn't catch me getting my hands dirty or, heaven forbid, touch a worm. Yuck! No, I am a modern day, suburban real food forager.

Let me explain. You may think it impossible to forage in a suburban area, but what I mean is, I forage in the stores and markets that sell real food. First and foremost this means that I belong to a buyer's club that has a real farmer deliver real fresh pastured foods like eggs, meat, poultry and dairy products on a weekly basis.
 
What with all this foraging, I have found that the very best quality foods comes directly from the farmer and that is why I founded The Great South Bay Chapter of the Weston A Price Foundation.

Farm to consumer food is by far a win - win situation for all involved. It allows the farmer to directly sell to consumers and get a higher price for their goods. It allows the consumer to buy the highest quality and freshest possible products at reasonable prices. And equally as important, it cuts down on fossil fuel usage as well as pollution by eliminating shipping across the country.

Real Food Forager features recipes that are gluten- and grain-free, dairy-free, sucrose-, starch-, and soy-free and appropriate for the SCD/GAPS diets as well as ancestral diets like Paleo and Primal diets.
As a Clinical Nutritionist/Chiropractor with a  specialty in SCD (Specific Carbohydrate Diet) and GAPS (Gut and Psychology Syndrome), I found myself giving Weston Price Foundation, SCD or GAPS style advice again and again.  It became clear to me that I needed a way to get this dietary information to people in a usable, concise, outline without having to repeat myself again and again. I realized that if I used the format of a blog, it could reach a lot of people and also allow us to have a dialog. Importantly, I could refer people to this blog for the details they would need to be successful on these various diets.

My favorite recipes are:
  1. Macaroons
  2. Grain-Free Carrot Cake with Icing
  3. Pecan Crusted Apple Crisp
  4. Grilled Tri Tip Roast
  5. Courgette Al Dente!
Welcome to this blog and find out more information about real food, the dangers in our commercial food supply and the implications to our health, what good nutrition really is, and how to follow these restricted diets and still eat like a king!

5 comments:

  1. Though I don't fully agree with your views but the recipes you have posted are awesome. I was familiar with one or two of them but the rest are new to me and I will make 'em as soon as possible.

    Dishwasher Repair

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post..i appreciate your work. i think people should go through it. i really like it. Thank you for sharing.

    Pulse OX

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article. I am hoping the same best work from you in the future as well. In fact your creative writing abilities has inspired me to start my own BlogEngine blog now. Really the blogging is spreading its wings rapidly. Your write up is a fine example of it. bestcookwarereviewsblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the nice blog. It was very useful for me. Keep sharing such ideas in the future as well, and I am glad to came here! Thanks for sharing the such information with us.
    round grain rice

    ReplyDelete